Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Train and Other First Impressions

After nearly 27 hours on the train I arrived in Williston, ND-120 miles West of Minot and two stops before mine.  The train was stopped for 90 minutes right outside of North Dakota.  We were told it had something to do with a broken wheel, but after seeing two guys with badges around their neck (Law & Order style) rush down the aisle, I thought otherwise.  According to the other veteran train riders, delays are a very normal part of the train ride.  With that knowledge and seeing the two gentlemen scurry down the train I decided to ask Josh to pick me up in Williston.  
Ah yes the train.  Parts of the train are luxurious-outlets at every seat, wide seats, enough leg room for an NBA player sleeper cars with showers, enough pillows for everyone, and a women's lounge.  Other parts...seems more like a glorified grey hound bus.  I mean sure a plane is cramped but in 27 hours I should be in South Africa not Eastern Montana.  Overall, it was long, but I might be forced to do it again.

So some first impressions on Minot (I can't generalize to all of North Dakota)

  • Trucks, trucks, trucks.  Not just small pick up trucks, but Ford 450s-large trucks!
  • Snow makes your car REALLY dirty. Uck!
  • Everything is very brown (I guess it would be hard for me to not think that since I did just move from the Evergreen State)
  • I know I've said this before, but it's hard to not miss all the "Hiring" or "Help Wanted" signs-EVERYWHERE!
  • There are also a lot of new hotels.  This goes along with the previous observation.  As Josh and I have been saying there is a housing sortage here.  People are moving here daily for all the jobs and they cannot keep up with the housing demands.  Most of these hotels are booked and I just looked, you cannot find a hotel for less than $100/night.  Go look at how much hotels are in downtown Seattle-you can find better deals...
  • TV shows are on an hour earlier.  This will take some getting used to, but I love that it's not even 10:30 and I'm watching the Daily Show.  

These are just my observations over the last three days.  Stay tuned for more.

Oh yeah, I got a job today-hired on the spot :)

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Ladyfriend! Congrats on the job, that is wonderful news :)

Deb said...

Glad to hear you found a new job so quickly. Looking forward to reading more adventures! Take care.