Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What Working in Retail has Taught Me

So this post isn't really about living in Minot, ND specifically, but these are things I've learned from living here (and my last job in Washington).

Lesson 1-I'm Old.
When I first started at my current job I remember thinking "this music playing on the speakers doesn't suck.  These are all songs I have downloaded or put on a mix tape".  Then the horrifying thought crossed my mind, "Wait am I old enough that 'my generation's' music is the easy listening of today?"  Josh confirmed my fear.  Who would have thought that when Britney Spears came out dressed as a slutty school girl singing "Hit me Baby One More Time" the same song would later be acceptable to play for the general public?  This makes me wonder what current Ke$ha or Nicki Minaj song we will later hear while shopping for groceries or a new appliance.

Lesson 2-Under wire Bras must be new
At my last place of employment I learned about undergarments.  Specifically bras.  The majority of old ladies (60 plus) bought bras without under wire.  This perplexed me.  I realize they're uncomfortable, but haven't they been around long enough that these women would have started to wear them as teenagers and gotten used to them like the rest of us?

Lesson 3- There is no regular schedule
Working in retail means working at different times everyday.  This also means your "lunch" can be anytime between noon at 6pm.  Holiday weekends mean 3 busy days of work instead of 3 day weekends.  I know that retail is not the only place this happens.  Nurses are probably the other profession where their sleep and eating patterns are all messed up and holiday just means they might get extra pay.

Lesson 4- I apparently read minds
Customers expect you to know EVERYTHING!  Like I'm the expert in whatever random product they're looking at.  Example:  A woman was looking at those indoor/outdoor rugs (keep in mind I work in WALLcoverings) and she asked "This says 5x7, what does that mean?" referring to the dimensions.  "Well this rug is 5 feet by 7 feet".  She proceeded to ask which way was 5 feet.  At this point I was aware I wasn't working with a rocket scientist here.  I tried to explain to her that you could move the carpet in any direction so it can be 5 feet wide OR 5 feet long.  "Well will it fit outside of my RV?" Seriously lady?  How do I know?  "How long is your RV?" I politely ask.  "You know the size of an RV".  I try to explain to here that I don't know how big her RV is and there are many different sizes.  I ended up telling her that if it doesn't work she can always return the magical rug that you can make 5 feet long OR 5 feet wide.

Lesson 5- I clean WAY more than at home
I never knew my job would entail so much dusting!  You could dust all day long and it would still look dirty. I never see people cleaning at other stores, but it must happen because in the three retail stores I've worked-we've dusted in each.

Lesson 6- Waitresses and Bartenders aren't the only ones who get hit on
Ok, so I work in a store that mostly men frequent but I didn't think creepy old men would harass me.  I'm not sure if it's because North Dakota is, um, "old school" or if this is normal in retail as a whole but old men think it's ok to treat me like it's still the 1950s.  They'll put their arm around me, try and hold my hand, pat me on the back....The most disturbing thing happened to me last week when I was trying to help a rude man try and find a matching stain for his kitchen cabinet.  There was no perfect match so I suggested using two different colors and blend them.  He said if it didn't match he was going to come back and give me a spanking.  I quickly turned around and walked away knowing that if I stuck around to say something I would regret it.  I'm never scared or worried something really serious will happen to me though.  It helps that Josh works there and the head of my department is a really tall and big gay man that is protective of me and can be very intimidating if need be.  (so can Josh :) )

No comments: