Friday, July 6, 2012

Living in Minot means...

...waiting in long lines-there are more jobs than people so everyone is understaffed.
...empty shelves-kind of goes with the above statement.  There are just more people here or come here to shop than the stores can handle.
...getting hit on because I'm a girl.  I know it would be worse if I was in Williston, but there still are more dudes than chicks in this town and they seem to ignore my wedding ring.
...meeting people from all over the country and even the world.  Most people are not from here (obviously if there was a giant influx in the population).  It's totally normal to see out of state license plates.  The only other place I've seen this many out of state plates is in the DC area.
...expensive airline tickets.  So this is really true about living in North Dakota as a whole, not just Minot.  There is no major airport in this state so it is about $200 more to fly anywhere here.  No one most native North Dakotans haven't traveled much.
...I look even younger because I don't smoke.  Ok again, this isn't a specific Minot thing.  In fact I think it might be a midwest thing.  The majority of people smoke here, and like I wrote earlier a lot of people aren't from North Dakota so....I'm sure there's other factors in my no so thorough research.

On another note, I've taken a break from thinking of topics to write here because I realized it's making me compare Minot or ND to Washington and what is familiar to me.  As a wise woman once told me, "comparison is the thief of happiness", and it is making it hard for me to transition and adapt.  So Josh challenged me to post a blog on the 25 things I like about ND.  He told me he challenges himself to think of 25 things he's thankful for when he has a bad attitude and it helps him.  So I have 11 on my list right now and when I get to 25 I'll post it.  Until then.....

No comments: